June 15, 2008

Welcome to Vancouver, Summer!

What a fantastic weekend!! The weather is fantastic, the people are happy and it's car free day so there are fun festivals everywhere I look. HEY WHAT'S THAT? Just kidding. There's no festival in my apartment. Silly.

I started my car free day with a fun bike ride to Commercial Drive where the streets are packed and I mean PACKED with people, dogs and whatever else you could fit in there. Spirits were high and the music at the park just made you want to drop everything and move your body around. I caught most of the set for Zimbamoto in Grandview Park and it was awesome. Afterwards a popsicle cooled me down a bit and then I carried on with my day.


On my way home I came across a Portuguese Father's Day Parade. I was invited to the big fun party by one of the congregation but I decided to enjoy what I saw on the street, which included seeing the older men all parading down the street together laughing and having a good time celebrating our Heavenly Father. Good to see!

As soon as I got home I ate a quick peanut butter and banana sandwich and then walked over to Main Street. It was another big party, and I was surprised how noticeably different it was compared to Commercial Drive...not that it's a competition. ha!

There was some cool stuff to see like a small half pipe for people to jump in and skate on, a few stages and lots of sidewalk chalk drawings. One thing I noticed and really appreciated was how easily little kids, and i'm talking 1-2 year olds, will get up in front of a band and just start tearing it up. It was so great.

So that sums up main street. I didn't take pictures of Main Street because I forgot my camera at home. Although the show is still on. I could easily walk over and take a few shots to complete this post. That would definitely make it complete. We'll see. OK I went. I went. I had to put a long sleeve shirt over my deep pink/red shoulders though. ouch.


So I didn't make it out to mini golf. I promise this week I will. It's for Bill!

No comments: