August 22, 2008

A Little Friendly Story

Last night I had some energy to burn. You know those moments where sitting still isn't an option? You just need to run around in circles like you were 6 and then crash on your mother's lap. Well i didn't do that. I had a better idea.

I went for a walk.

I started going south on main street and my purpose, for some reason I couldn't just go for a walk, was to find an after dinner dessert to compliment my new fresh coffee (thanks, dana!) It was the perfect plan, and I'll tell you now, this has a happy ending.

As I walked down Main I see a few coffee shops but I wasn't looking for biscotti or a muffin so I kept walking. I will tell you that there are plenty of friendly people in Vancouver. A large amount of people were smiling at me as we crossed eachother's paths...but then I had a thought 'is my zipper down?' so I checked and it wasn't. It's confirmed: People are just friendly.

I'm passing more coffee shops (there are so many in this city) and sushi joints and boutiques. Nothing. I've decided to walk to the nesters market to see what they have to offer. Nothing. Nothing anywhere. I had noticed a few specialty dessert bars but that seemed inappropriate for this particular night. I just needed something good but not delicate.

At this point I begin my walk north on the east side of the street. Is there a possibility that people walking on the east side of a street are less friendly than those on the west side? That's bizarre! It's not that they weren't friendly, just less smiley.

My theory is: at this point I wasn't so "open" and "happy" on my "energy burn" walk cuz my trip's purpose had not been fulfilled. I was becoming less approachable.

So as I'm mentally pushing people out of my way on the street, I start to sweat and get really thirsty. My mouth was so dry. It's a matter of life and death now! I NEED a dessert and I need some water. And then I see the light. I see the light so bright. Is this death? No it's Bean Around The World. THEY HAVE DESSERTS! I picked up a four dollars and twenty five sent carrot cake chunk and proudly walked home feeling complete and calm.

It was perfect. The coffee and carrot cake are best friends in my mouth.


I slept like a log. That's my little friendly story.

No comments: