August 5, 2008

Invitation Photography or Not

Pre-Coffee Ramble

I just woke up. I'm pre-coffee and feeling a little drowsy but there is no better time to write about invitation photography than now. It's in my brain and I gotta get it out. The sample above is an invitation for Amber and Shane, who are not yet married but will be very soon. We're working on their place cards and table chart at the moment, but I digress, I mentioned them because they are a good example of outstanding photography in a wedding invitation.

Tacky or Not?

We've heard the argument a few times; is it tacky? is it not tacky? But we believe if it's done right and if you WANT to include a photo, then do it! "Do it," I say again.

Many times we've included photos of couples on their vacation or when they got engaged, which is a really sweet idea, or you might spend a night and go through the folders and folders of photos you have backed up on a disc...which can be fun! Another option is to include a photo from your engagement session with your wedding photographer. It's common to receive a complimentary engagement photo shoot, which benefits the couple and the photographer, and more often than not you'll have one shot that you absolutely love. Amber and Shane, I believe...someone correct me if I'm wrong please, went with Blue Olive Photography for their wedding photography and their photo made a huge difference to the final product. Those photographers really know what they're doing.

It's a subjective argument though. We encourage photos in our invitations because they add a certain personality and style to a design but at the same time we can appreciate a clean, bold design as well. There's no pressure to include a photograph in any wedding invite. It's all about what you want and that's all that matters. Awe. What a happy ending to this story.

No comments: