January 31, 2009

Snowshoe Adventure to Island Lake Lodge

On Friday afternoon Marie invited me on her planned snowshoe excursion with her friends. For them it's just another day, going to work at Island Lake Lodge, but for me it was an ADVENTURE.

The 2 hour trip from the Mt Fernie Provincial Park parking lot to Island Lake Lodge, approximately 9 km, was fairly easy going for the first kilometer but the 2nd half was straight uphill. I haven't keeled over in pain like that since they forced us to do long distance running in high school. The pain didn't stop me though. It was like a personal goal to be able to make it to the top...and I did. Thank you. Thank you!

The group I went with were all fun and easy going, which made showing up in jeans and no mittens or poles or snow gear a non issue (i'm pretty sure)...as I am not an experienced backcountry girl...or even a winter girl, mind you. Once we got to the lodge we enjoyed a few sips of tea, slice of watermelon and raisin bread and I was soon whisked away in a huge red snowcat back to the parking lot. I left all the girls behind to start their shift, including Chinook, and got a ride home where I went back to work. Like it never happened! But it did and it was fun. Thanks, Marie!

snowshoe group




snowcat in fernie bc

No comments: