April 17, 2009

Grand Central Terminal

I found this photo in an old 1973 book about trains "The Great Trains" of Grand Central Terminal in New York City. The photo was taken in the early 1900s when, at the time, this train station was considered one of the most majestic built in America. This photo is stunning with the intense sunbeams and clear and blurry travelers. I didn't realize a book about trains would be so interesting. Now I understand why they have all those train museums around the world. Kinda.

There is no photo credit but I see that as a challenge so I will try and find it.

grand central terminal new york early 1900s

3 comments:

Werner Grundlingh said...

Here's a start to your investigations on this picture:
http://www.afterimagegallery.com/nytgrandcentral.htm

Bean said...

well thanks, werner. so someone from the new york times took this photo? or possibly the new york times has bought the rights to it. dun dun dunnnn. still a mystery but I feel one baby step closer.

Vanessa said...

I have this picture poster-sized and framed, hanging in my living room. Someone told me at one point that the picture would now be impossible to recreate as the station is surrounded by taller buildings and the light can no longer enter those windows. Makes it seem more magical to me, somehow.